HC Deb 07 March 1946 vol 420 c488
30. Major Legge-Bourke

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he intends introducing legislation to raise the maximum allowance payable to a wife and child under a separation order, in view of the increase in wages and the cost of living.

Mr. Ede

I cannot hold out hope of legislation on this subject at the present time.

Major Legge-Bourke

Does not the right hon. Gentleman agree that there are cases of hardship to those who are not receiving the maximum allowance, which is £2, and would he not bear in mind the fact that it is important that some relationship should be borne between the allowance and the cost of living?

Mr. Ede

The person aggrieved can go before the courts when the amount is below the maximum and ask for an increase.