HC Deb 17 October 1916 vol 86 cc355-6

asked whether the men who had served twelve years in the Army but under War Office Regulations were unable to remain, but who have served four years in the Reserve and since 1914 have been serving with the Colours, making eighteen years, can be given the long service and good conduct medal?


I would refer my hon. Friend to paragraph 1748 of the King's Regulations and Article 1232 of the Royal Warrant for Pay. He will see by reference to these Regulations that eighteen years' service with the Colours (not necessarily continuous) is the minimum qualifying period for the award of the medal.


Is there any possibility of an alteration of the Regulation to which the hon. Member has referred me in order that these men can have the medal? It is causing a great deal of dissatisfacton.


Yes; but I think my hon. Friend will see on reflection that it would be unfair to the men who have given eighteen years' service with the Colours that the men who have not given the full period of service should get the same treatment.