HC Deb 11 March 1908 vol 185 cc1545-6

I beg to ask the Chief Secretary to the Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland if the Commissioners of National Education have decided to close Carntall national school, situated in the County of Antrim; and, if so, what provision is going to be made for the children who, by the closing of this school, would be compelled to walk two and a half miles to the next nearest school, many of whom would be unable to do so; and whether, in view of the fact that the entire people of the district are unanimously in favour of the school being continued, and some time ago raised money for its repair, he will consider the advisability of retaining this school, at least Until better accommodation is available for the children who attend it.


The Commissioners of National Education inform me that they have not yet come to a final decision in this matter. The question of closing the school has been under their consideration, and they have referred the ease to their Inspector for inquiry. Upon the receipt of his report, they will further consider the matter.