HC Deb 02 April 1908 vol 187 c661

To ask the Secretary of State for War whether a Volunteer or non-commissioned officer with nineteen years and six months service, who may be unable to accept service in the. Territorial Force, will be allowed to attach himself to a Territorial regiment for six months only and fulfil the requirements of the Volunteer regulations, and thereby qualify for and receive the long service medal; and whether the Volunteer so attached for six months to a Territorial regiment will be allowed to retain his present rank of non-commissioned officer, and at the end of the period retire with all the privileges now in force according to his rank.

(Answered by Mr. Secretary Haldane.) The reply to the Question is in the negative. Special consideration, will, however, be given to Volunteers unable to join the Territorial Force, and instruction will shortly be issued in regard to the grant of the long service medal and any privileges on retirement.