MR. PHILIPPS (Pembrokeshire)
To ask the Secretary to the Admiralty what is the amount and value of the stone recently given to build a church at Pembroke Dock; by what authority it was given; and whether similar contributions will in future be given towards 1377 the building of Nonconformist places of worship in the town proportionately, according to the numbers of the respective congregations.
(Answered by Mr. Pretyman.) The amount of the stone cannot now be stated accurately. It was part of the material arising from the demolition of an old battery. The stone was valued at £60, and that amount was charged to the Vote liable for grants to religious institutions by authority of the Board of Admiralty. The building was a mission church for a district mainly inhabited by dockyard employees. Applications for grants of this character for churches or for Nonconformist places of worship are considered equally on their merits.