HC Deb 23 January 1902 vol 101 c662
MR. DUNCAN (Yorkshire W. R., Otley)

I beg to ask the Secretary of State for War, if he is aware that Royal Engineers on service in South Africa lose their working pay when in hospital from wounds or sickness; and if he will consider whether they may be treated as yeomen and colonial troops are treated, by giving them full pay when on active service whether in hospital or not.


The hon. Member evidently refers to engineer pay, which is granted to a Royal Engineer in addition to his regimental pay under certain conditions as to work and availability for duty. These he cannot perform while in hospital. The yeoman and colonial trooper are not entitled to engineer pay or its equivalent. While in hospital on service the Royal Engineer draws his regimental pay just as much as the yeoman or colonial soldier.