§ SIR THOMAS ESMONDE (Wexford, N.)
To ask the Secretary to the Treasury if he will ascertain from the Irish Board of Works what ancient monuments in Ireland have been inspected by them within the last twelve months or within the period of the last financial year; and what steps, if any, have been taken for their preservation.
(Answered by Mr. Austen Chamberlain.) During the financial year ending 31st March, 1902, inspections have been made and works of repair undertaken at twenty-two ancient monuments, e. g.:— New grange and Dowth, County Meath; Glendalough, County Wicklow; Holy-cross Abbey, County Tipperary; Dysert O'Dea Church and Round Tower, County Clare; Newtown Trim (Cathedral of Meath), County Meath; Inismurray (Island), County Sligo; Franciscan Convent of Ross-Errilly, County Galway; St. Columba's House, Kells, County Meath; St. Cronan's Church, Rosscrea, County Tipperary; Rock of Cashel, County Tipperary; Monasterboice, County Louth; Sligo Abbey, County Sligo; Moyne Abbey, County Mayo; Round, Tower, Lusk, County Dublin; Fenagh Abbey, County Leitrim; Canon's Island Abbey, County Clare; St. Finian's cell, Church Island, County Kerry; Drumlane Church, County Cavan; Maghera Church, County Londonderry; Clones Round Tower and Church, County Monaghan; Ardmore Cathedral, County Waterford; Ennis Abbey, County Clare. 1102 In addition to the above cases, inspections have been made at many monuments throughout the country by the Inspector of Ancient and National Monuments and the Board's surveyors, of which no comprehensive record exists. The surveyor for each district inspects the ancient monuments within the district once a year. The total amount expended under the direction of the Board on works for the preservation of ancient and national monuments for the financial year ending 31st March last was £770.