HC Deb 07 April 1846 vol 85 cc676-7

would at once state, on the part of the Government, the course which he proposed to pursue with respect to the public business. He did so when the House was full, and when a greater number of Gentlemen were present than probably would be the case at the subsequent part of the evening. He mentioned it also now on the chance that some amicable arrangement might then take place as to the progress of public business; finding that it was most desirable that a fixed time should be appointed when the sense of the House could be taken on the important questions before it. He did not think that under any circumstances at present it could have been his duty to propose any other adjournment than for the shortest period that was usually taken at Easter. No one looked with more joy towards an adjournment than he did; and he had intended to have proposed that it should take place from Thursday to Monday week next; but he now did not think it proper, in the present state of public business, to propose such an adjournment. The loss of one of those days which Government took for public business could not be well borne. He, therefore, should propose that the House should adjourn from Thursday next, to the Friday in the following week; and on that day he should propose, as the first business, to resume the debate on the Protection of Life (Ireland) Bill, as it was not probable that he should be allowed Thursday next for that purpose. Several hon. Gentlemen had proposed that the adjournment of the House should take place from to-morrow instead of on Thursday; but some hon. Gentlemen had given notices of Motions for Thursday, and this could not be done without their consent. If, however, it was the general wish of the House, and if those hon. Gentlemen concurred in that wish, he should have no objection to move the adjournment to-morrow instead of on Thursday. They would thus lose no opportunity for discussing the important subjects before them. If an arrangement could be made with those Gentlemen, and they would consent to withdraw their notices, he would at once give notice that he should follow that course. If this was not agreed to, there would be no opportunity of proceeding with the Irish Bill on Thursday night when the notices were gone through. Under these circumstances he should now propose that the Protection of Life (Ireland) Bill be postponed until Friday week. The Monday following he should fix on for the further progress of the Corn Bill and the Tariff. This was the arrangement which he proposed to make with the concurrence of the House.

The adjourned debate on the Protection of Life (Ireland) Bill postponed accordingly until Friday week.