HC Deb 31 July 1974 vol 878 cc437-8W
Mr. Wigley

asked the Secretary of State for Wales (1) what authorisation the new area health authorities have to obtain before introducing fluoridation of drinking water into areas where this practice has not previously been undertaken;

(2) what authorisation levels are required by area health authorities before they can sanction the introduction of fluoridation of water supplies; and in which area of Wales fluoridation is currently undertaken.

Mr. Rowlands

It is for the area health authorities themselves to make the decision whether or not water supplies in their areas should be fluoridated and if they decide in favour, to approach the Welsh National Water Development Authority. We are considering what advice to give in this matter. Parts of the areas of all Welsh area health authorities except Dyfed and West Glamorgan already receive fluoridated water.