'Schedule (Withholding and withdrawal of support) (which makes provision for support to be withheld or withdrawn in certain circumstances) shall have effect.'.—[Beverley Hughes.]
§ Brought up, and read the First time.5.15 pm
§ The Minister for Citizenship and Immigration (Beverley Hughes)
I beg to move, That the clause be read a Second time.
§ Madam Deputy Speaker (Sylvia Heal)
With this, it will be convenient to discuss the following: New clause 4—Accommodation: adequacy—'(1) After section 97(1) of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (c. 33) (Supplemental) there is added:
§ "(1A) Accommodation provided under section 95 will only be regarded as adequate provided:
- (a) it is fit for human habitation as defined by section 604 of the Housing Act 1985 (as amended);
- (b) occupation of the accommodation by the asylum seekers and their dependants (if any) will not constitute overcrowding as defined by sections 324, 325 and 326 of the Housing Act 1985;
- (c) it does not constitute a statutory nuisance as defined by section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990;
- (d) the Secretary of State is satisfied that, if occupied by them, the asylum seekers and their dependants (if any) would be reasonably safe from personal injury or from damage to their property caused by a relevant defect, as defined by section 4 of the Defective Premises Act 1972.".
(2) After section 100(1) of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (c. 33) (local authority and other assistance for Secretary of State) there is added—
(1A) The Secretary of State may ask a local housing authority to take such steps as they are allowed by law to ensure accommodation provided under section 95 is adequate as defined by section 97(1A).".'.
§ New clause 17—Accommodation of unaccompanied asylum-seeking children—
- '(1) All unaccompanied asylum-seeking children shall be offered the opportunity to be accommodated under section 20 of the Children Act 1989.
- (2) Such children may be accommodated by any local authority.'.
§ Government new schedule 1— 'Withholding and Withdrawal of Support—