§ ". The Secretary of State shall by order taking effect on the abolition date make provision for the authority established by section 27 of this Act for each metropolitan county to exercise the following functions relating to highways and road traffic in that county to the extent and in the manner that such order shall provide—
- (a) then in functions of the highway authority under the Highways Act 1980 in relation to principal roads within the county;
- (b) the functions of a county council and a highway authority for the purpose of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 in relation to principal roads within the county;
- (c) issuing guidance as to the manner in which in relation to non principal roads the councils of metropolitan districts should exercise their powers under the 1984 Act, for the purpose of ensuring that the exercise by such councils of those traffic powers in relation to non principal roads does not have an adverse effect on traffic or any class of traffic using principal roads within the county or any traffic or class of traffic in any area other than the area of the district council, as the case may be;
- (d) the functions relating to the construction and maintenance of bridges within the county which on that date are the responsibility of the highway authority;
- (e) the functions contained in the Road Traffic Acts 1972 and 1974 in so far as the same relate to road safety within the county; and
- (f) the collection, examination, analysis and dissemination of data required for the discharge of those functions."
Amendment thereto, (a), in line 3, leave out
'the authority established by section 27 of this Act for each metropolitan county'
'each metropolitan county authority established by Part II of Schedule I to this Act'.
Amendment No. 9 (a) in clause 8, page 4, line 31, leave Out
'London borough councils and the Common Council'
and insert 'the London Authority'.
Amendment No. 9 (b), in line 33, leave out 'Metropolitan district Councils' and insert
'Metropolitan county authorities established by Part II of Schedule I to this Act'.
Lords amendment No. 48, in clause 55 page 38, line 38, at end insert—
(4) As soon as may be after the establishment of a joint committee under section 93 below for Greater London or a metropolitan county the Secretary of State shall, after consultation with that committee, appoint one of its members to be a member of the apprpriate residuary body.
Amendments thereto, (c), in line 38, at end insert—
'(4) The members of the London Residuary Body appointed under subsection (3) shall be such members of the London Authority as are nominated by that Authority to the Secretary of State for that purpose.'.
(d) in line 38, at end insert—
'(4) The members of each residuary body appointed under subsection (3) above shall be such members of the Metropolitan County Authority established by Part II of Schedule Ito this Act in the area of the appropriate residuary body as are nominated by that authority to the Secretary of State for that purpose.'.
§ Lords amendment No. 55, after clause 85—
§ Insert the following new clause—