HC Deb 25 April 1967 vol 745 cc1315-6
22. Mr. Allason

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government whether it is intended that there shall be relief where there are charges of both Estate Duty and land commission levy on the development value of the same land in all cases where the double charge can be traced.

Mr. Willey

An appropriate allowance for levy purposes will be made under the provisions of Schedule 7 to the Land Commission Act for interests in land in respect of which liability for Estate Duty has arisen within the previous six years but where levy is charged on land which was owned by a company in which the deceased had shares and not by the deceased himself, the Schedule is obviously inapplicable.

Mr. Allason

But is the right hon. Gentleman satisfied with this position by which, because land is owned through a family company, double taxation is charged? Has he considered the case which I submitted to him, in which Estate Duty has been charged at 50 per cent., and a further 40 per cent.—making a total of 90 per cent.—will be charged on the value of that land?

Mr. Wiley

I am aware of the case which the hon. Gentleman mentions, where the land has not changed hands at all. I am also aware that, in that case, the possibility of the question of a charity arises.