HC Deb 30 June 1955 vol 543 cc485-6
25. Mr. Shepherd

asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food what compensation is payable under his regulations to a tenant farmer who has to vacate his farm upon his land being compulsorily acquired.

Mr. Amory

If land subject to an annual tenancy is compulsorily acquired, and immediate possession is wanted, the tenant is compensated not under agricultural legislation but under the Lands Clauses Acts. He is compensated, broadly, for his unexpired interest in the land, tenant-right and any damage he suffers.

Mr. Snow

In the matter of compensation, where a local authority is concerned, as it usually is in these cases, is it still a fact that there is no obligation on the part of the local authority to advise the tenant farmer, and that the advice may go only to the landlord?

Mr. Amory

The hon. Gentleman should put down a Question to my right hon. Friend the Chancellor of the Exchequer on that matter because I have no direct responsibility for compulsory purchase under that heading.

Commander Agnew

Apart from the compensation now given, are there not many cases in which farmers suffer great loss through having to sell all their stock while they are looking for another holding? Will my right hon. Friend say whether some amendment could be introduced in favour of more compensation being given to cover that?

Mr. Amory

I am sure that attention will be given to what my hon. and gallant Friend has said, but I have no Departmental responsibility in these matters.

Mr. T. Williams

Can the right hon. Gentleman tell us in how many cases land is compulsorily purchased in the manner suggested in the Question, without the tenant having been given any notice at all that it was likely to take place?

Mr. Amory

I am sorry, but I cannot give the right hon. Gentleman the information for which he asks.

Forward to