HC Deb 23 May 1950 vol 475 c1820
9. Mr. Manuel

asked the Secretary of State for War if he will take steps to prevent the families of soldiers who are being ordered overseas being evicted from houses under the control of his Department or the local Territorial associations.

Mr. M. Stewart

Before a soldier is allotted a married quarter he has to sign a certificate, included in which is a statement that he understands that he will be required to move his family when he is posted from the station and alternative accommodation is offered. It is the policy of my right hon. Friend to enable soldiers to be united with their families at their duty stations whenever possible and there are long waiting lists for married quarters vacated by the families of soldiers posted abroad. No family of a serving soldier is required to leave War Department or Territorial Army married quarters unless alternative accommodation, usually in a families camp, is available for them.

Mr. Manuel

Is my hon. Friend aware of the case which I have forwarded to his Department of a Regular soldier with 17 years' service who is now getting a posting to Malaya; and on the same day as he got that posting his wife got an order for her eviction, along with four children, from the Territorial house?

Mr. Stewart

We should certainly see that no such order was carried out with improper haste, and in any case not unless alternative accommodation was available.

Sir Herbert Williams

Are these military quarters known as tied cottages?

Mr. Stewart

Only by people who confuse two distinct ideas.