HC Deb 16 March 1948 vol 448 c1865
23. Sir William Darling

asked the Secretary of State for Scotland what arrangements exist for the erection of experimental houses in Scotland, what are the names of firms undertaking such work, and what arrangements, by sale or letting, are made for the disposal of such houses on satisfactory completion.

The Secretary of State for Scotland (Mr. Woodburn)

Licences for experimental houses in entirely new methods of construction are normally issued by the Ministry of Works to the promoter of the house; but where no radical departure from established methods is involved, application for a licence may be made to the local authority in the normal way. I would refer the hon. Member to the monthly Housing Returns which contain a list of non-traditional houses approved for erection by local authorities and the Scottish Special Housing Association. In the case of private builders the disposal of houses is in the hands of the owner, subject to the usual control of selling price and rent.

Sir W. Darling

Will the right hon. Gentleman give me the names of the firms engaged on this experimental work? I am told that the number is very few, so perhaps he could give them to me?

Mr. Woodburn

There are quite a number, but they can be seen in the Housing Returns.

Back to