HC Deb 22 August 1945 vol 413 cc592-3
8. Major Sir Jocelyn Lucas

asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs if he can state the position with regard to compensation to British civilian internees in enemy countries for loss of personal effects or belongings at the time of repatriation or transfer from one camp to another; whether claims for compensation for detention and seizure of goods can be made by them; and to whom they should apply.

Mr. Bevin

Such cases are dealt with by the Foreign Office and should be brought to the notice of that Department. At the present stage, however, endeavours are being made to trace and recover missing effects and some 32 tons of baggage are now on their way to this country, 27 tons from Biberach and 5 tons from Laufen. If later it turns out that effects are irretrievably lost, owners will be informed of any further steps that they should take with a view to obtaining compensation.

Mr. McEntee

Does that answer apply to the Channel Islands?

Mr. Bevin

Oh, no. The question of the Channel Islands is a matter for my right hon. Friend the Home Secretary.