HC Deb 21 July 1942 vol 381 cc1408-9
51. Mr. Mander

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer what arrangements are made for persons, whether in the Services or in civilian life, who have lost their personal property through enemy action overseas, to obtain compensation both for their immediate and necessary requirements and for other less urgent purposes?

Sir K. Wood

Service personnel are eligible, under long standing Regulations, for compensation in respect of the loss of essential articles of military kit; and in addition, the payment has been authorised of small cash grants to cover immediate and essential requirements as, for instance, clothing for families of Service personnel who escaped from Malaya. There are analogous arrangements for civilian employees of the British and of Colonial Governments. The payment of compensation generally for losses due to enemy action overseas is, of course, a matter for the Government of the territory concerned.

Mr. Mander

Cannot my right hon. Friend give further information, in view of the fact that there is a considerable number of persons who want to get the compensation to which he referred? Surely it is not enough to say that it is a matter for the Government of the territory concerned?

Sir K. Wood

Perhaps my hon. Friend will send me any information he has on the matter.