HC Deb 14 July 1942 vol 381 cc1053-4
2. Mr. Robertson

asked the Secretary of State for War whether he will arrange that soldiers sent home on 28 days' leave, pending discharge from the Army, are provided with National Health and Unemployment cards, so that in the national interest they may obtain civilian work without delay?

The Secretary of State for War (Sir James Grigg)

The leave pass of a soldier who goes on leave pending discharge is endorsed "free to take up civil employment." He can therefore register for employment as soon as his leave starts. Arrangements are made for issue during the leave period of a regular unemployment book, and in the meantime if he secures work he can obtain an emergency card from his local employment exchange.

Mr. Robertson

Is my right hon. Friend aware that a Peebles soldier was offered work of national importance on the railway but was unable to start because he had no cards and there were no means for him to get them?

Sir J. Grigg

This information is given on the authority of the Minister of Labour, and I cannot answer questions about individual cases.