HC Deb 06 March 1941 vol 369 c1021
64. Mr. Brooke

asked the Secretary of State for War whether, when a married officer retains his marriage allowance for his own use and fails to make adequate provision for his wife, she can obtain any redress through his Department?

The Financial Secretary to the War Office (Mr. Richard Law)

If an officer is unwilling to make adequate provision for his family, I have no power to compel him to do so. The issue of marriage allowance to an officer, however, is subject to a certificate that he is providing for the maintenance of his family. If it is found that an officer is not making such provision, at least to the extent of the allowance in issue to him, the allowance is withdrawn.