HC Deb 05 August 1941 vol 373 c1776
26. Mr. T. Smith

asked the Secretary of State for War whether he is aware that cases are arising of wives of Service men continuing to go out to work whilst in an advanced state of pregnancy in order to supplement their separation allowance; and whether he will consider the desirability of making an additional allowance of 10s. per week to all such cases on the production of a medical certificate and on the condition that the woman refrains from going out to work for a specified period?

Captain Margesson

I am afraid that I am unable to accept my hon. Friend's suggestion for a flat increase of 10s. a week in such cages, but any case in which serious hardship arises will be considered on its merits by the Ministry of Pensions with a view to the award of a war service grant of up to £2 a week. If serving in the United Kingdom, the soldier should himself make an application for such a grant through his commanding officer. If he is serving abroad, the application may be made by his wife through the regimental paymaster or the nearest office of the Assistance Board.