HC Deb 07 December 1939 vol 355 c782
3. Mr. Graham White

asked the Minister of Labour whether he is aware that voluntary workers in connection with the evacuation of schoolchildren are, in some districts, being required to get unemployment cards, although they receive no payment for the work done and the billeting fee is paid direct to the householder with whom they live; and under what authority this is required?

Mr. E. Brown

I assume that the hon. Member is referring to persons acting as official helpers in connection with Government evacuation schemes and receiving free board and lodging but no money payment. In accordance with Part I of the First Schedule to the Unemployment Insurance Act, 1935, such persons are insurable under the Act if they are employed under the direction and control of the local authority concerned on conditions which constitute a contract of service.

Mr. White

Is the effect of that answer that billeting allowances are treated as wages?

Mr. Brown

I would not like to add that to my answer. There is a contract of service, and if the hon. Member would like further details I will give him the particular reference.

Forward to