§ 74. Major CARVER
asked the Minister of Agriculture the organisations to be represented at the conference on the grey squirrel nuisance?
§ Mr. PALING
As the answer is necessarily rather long, I propose, with the hon. and gallant Member's permission, to circulate it in the OFFICIAL REPORT.
§ Brigadier-General CLIFTON BROWN
Is the hon. Member aware that a conference was held yesterday on this matter?
§ Following is the answer:
§ This conference was held yesterday. The Office of Works and the Forestry Commission and the following organisations were invited to send representatives, namely:
- The Auctioneers' and Estate Agents' Institute.
- The Central Chamber of Agriculture.
§ Following is the reply:
§ The latest official returns of the numbers of pigs in the United Kingdom, the Irish Free State, Denmark, the Netherlands and Sweden are as follows:
|Country.||Date.||Number of Pigs.|
|Irish Free State||…||1.6.30||1,052,200|
§ In the case of the last four countries the following table shows the percentage increase or decrease during each of the past five years in the imports of pig products* into the United Kingdom as compared with the preceding year:
- The Central Committee of the "Anti-Grey Squirrel Campaign."
- The Chartered Surveyors' Institution.
- The Central Landowners' Association.
- The County Councils Association.
- The Incorporated Society of Auctioneers and Landed Property Agents.
- The Land Agents' Society.
- The Land Union.
- The National Farmers' Union.
- The National Trust.
- The Royal Agricultural Society of England.
- The Royal Horticultural Society.
- The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.
§ Of these bodies, all except the Auctioneers' and Estate Agents' Institute, the Central Chamber of Agriculture and the Land Union sent representatives.