§ 43. Mr. HACKING
asked the Secretary to the Overseas Trade Department whether the committee which, in pursuance of the recommendation of the Chelmsford Committee, is to be appointed to consider the acquisition of a site and the erection of permanent buildings for the London section of the British Industries Fair has yet been formally constituted; and, if so, whether he can announce the names of its members and the terms of reference?
§ Mr. GILLETT
A committee has now been appointed to consider and report how permanent accommodation for the London section of the British Industries Fair could be provided and financed on a self-supporting basis, and to formulate definite proposals.
The constitution of the committee is as follows:—
The secretary of the committee is Mr. G. H. Meadmore, Department of Overseas Trade.
- Sir Gilbert Garnsey, Chairman.
- Mr. John Beard (formerly President of the Trades Union Congress General Council).
- Lord Bethell.
- Sir Robert Donald.
- Mr. F. W. Hunt (Valuer to the London County Council).
- Mr. Wm. Leitch (Assistant Secretary, His Majesty's Office of Works).
- Mr. G. H. Locock (Assistant Director of the Federation of British Industries).
- Sir Sydney Skinner (President of the Incorporated Association of Retail Distributors).
- Mr. Claude Taylor (Department of Overseas Trade, and Secretary of the British Industries Fair).
- Sir Gilbert Vyle (Past President, Association of British Chambers of Commerce).
§ Mr. GILLETT
I do not know the exact date, but I understand that the chairman hopes to put the whole proceedings through as rapidly as possible?
§ Mr. BROCKWAY
Will the hon. Gentleman consider adding to this committee a representative of the co-operative movement?