HC Deb 10 December 1931 vol 260 cc2030-1
22. Lieut.-Colonel WINDSOR-CLIVE

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether he is aware that there are no means by which a man who has emigrated from this country to Canada can be compelled to support his illegitimate child in this country; and whether he will endeavour to bring about reciprocal legislation with the Dominion of Canada in order to alter this state of affairs?


There are at present no means whereby a man anywhere outside the Uuited Kingdom can be compelled to support an illegitimate child in this country. There are, however, reciprocal arrangements with regard to the maintenance of wives under the Maintenance Orders (Facilities for Enforcement) Act, 1920, in force between this country and certain Dominions (not including Canada) which have passed reciprocal legislation. The question of amending this Act and of extending it to affiliation cases is under consideration.