HC Deb 04 July 1928 vol 219 cc1385-7
61. Sir C. RAWSON

asked the Home Secretary why a voluntarily organised draw on behalf of the funds of a Hove hospital was stopped by the Home Office whilst draws conducted on identical lines for other hospitals in Brighton and Hove have not been interfered with; and can an authoritative statement be made for the guidance of those who organise those and similar functions on behalf of charities?


The enforcement of the law relating to illegal lotteries is a matter for the local police and not for the Home Office. My attention was drawn to a public lottery at Hove in apparent contravention of the law, and I brought it to the notice of the local police. Had my attention been drawn to the other lotteries referred to, it would have been my duty to bring them also to the notice of the police. As I stated in reply to my hon. and gallant Friend the Member for the Dulwich Division of Camberwell (Sir F. Hall) on the 14th instant, public lotteries are definitely illegal, and the law does not discriminate between those promoted in aid of charity and other

debate this question. An early opportunity will be available.

Following is the table:

public lotteries. I have no authority to decide what is or is not a public lottery, but it is always open to the promoters of charities to consult the local police on the question whether any proposed lottery appears to contravene the law.


As this particular action will deprive the hospitals in the constituency of Brighton and Hove of some £15,000 a year, will the right hon. Gentleman persuade the Government to introduce legislation to remove some of the anomalies and stupidities of the existing law in regard to gaming?


Will the Home Secretake into consideration the advisability of changing the name of the Metropolitan Police Force to the "Byng Boys Association?"


In reply to my hon. Friend the Member for Brighton (Sir C. Rawson), I have already issued two Memoranda on the subject of gaming. The law as regards lotteries, however, is definite and does not permit of any action by my Department.


Will the right hon. Gentleman suggest an alteration of the law?