HC Deb 24 February 1927 vol 202 cc1879-80

asked the Minister of Pensions if he is aware that in the Edinburgh area there is an increasing number of cases of disabled ex-service men who are being refused treatment by the Deputy-Commissioner of Medical Services and are being referred by him to their panel doctors who find them unfit for work and entitled to the National Health Insurance allowances; and will he see that more sympathetic consideration is given to these cases and hospital treatment with allowances given where deterioration has taken place?

The MINISTER of PENSIONS (Major Tryon)

It is the duty of the Deputy-Commissioner of Medical Services to prescribe whatever form of treatment he may consider necessary in a particular case. In a case where no specialist treatment is called for, but attention from the general medical practitioner is all that is required, the pensioner is advised to consult the practitioner whose services are available to him under the Health Insurance Acts. I should not be justified in requiring, as the hon. Member suggests in the last part of his question, the provision of hospital treatment in all cases of deterioration, regardless of the medical view as to whether such treatment in a hospital were necessary or not. With regard to the grant of allowances under Article 6 of the Warrant, I would remind the hon. Member that the conditions governing the matter are not identical with those which determine sickness benefits under the National Health Insurance Acts.


Does he right hon. Gentleman agree that if an ex-service man is sufficiently disabled to be unable to work, he should be entitled to treatment by the Ministry?


The test by which we decide this matter is the medical opinion of those who are acting for the Ministry.