HC Deb 15 July 1919 vol 118 c217
80. Major COPE

asked the Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Agriculture whether, in view of the losses sustained by farmers in cases where cattle are detained and isolated under the provisions of the Rabies Order, 1918, he will advise compensation being made in such cases; and, if the Board of Agriculture has no power to pay such compensation, will he say to which Department of State or otherwise application should be made for this purpose?

Lieut.-Colonel GILMOUR

Neither the Board nor any other Department nor local authority has power to pay compensation in the cases referred to. The necessary sanction can only be obtained by legislation.