HC Deb 30 May 1918 vol 106 cc952-3
22 and 23. Major HUNT

asked (1) whether, in view of the fact that the men formerly employed by the British Motor Cab Company are now out of employ- ment because this company closed down on account of not being allowed Is. a mile, he can see his way to allow these unemployed men to be employed by other cab owners and the same amount of petrol allowed for their employment as that used by the British Motor Cab Company before it closed down; (2) whether, in view of the fact that the supply of two gallons per week for a taxi-cab is only enough for four days, he will consider the advisability of supplying each licensed driver with petrol weekly instead of at present supplying it to the cab owners?


I have been asked by my right hon. Friend to answer these questions. Motor spirit licences for taxi-cabs are issued only to the registered owners of vehicles after the vehicles have been certified to be taxi-cabs licensed to ply for hire by the local licensing authorities, and a licence cannot be issued either to a licensed driver as such, or to a cab owner in respect of a driver's employment. The quantity allowed for taxi-cabs in. the metropolitan area is 60 gallons per month, or, approximately, 2 gallons per day, and not 2 gallons per week, as suggested by the hon. and gallant Member. In view of the urgent necessity of conserving supplies of petrol, it is not possible to increase this quantity.

Major HUNT

Can the right hon. Gentleman say whether anything can be done to stop the waste of labour entailed by the men only being able to work four days a week on account of not having enough petrol?


I should like notice of that.