HC Deb 21 June 1918 vol 107 c646
1. Mr. P. A. HARRIS

asked the Secretary to the Treasury whether he is aware that men in Government Departments who are receiving civil pay, less their Army pay, are now having the officers' allowance for children granted by the Government deducted from their civil pay; and, seeing that this children's allowance was equivalent to a war bonus to assist in defraying the increased cost of living, whether Departments are authorised to make this deduction?

Mr. BALDWIN (Joint Financial Secretary to the Treasury)

The answer is in the affirmative, the principle being the same as has been followed throughout the War in the case of a separation allowance. The hon. Member is no doubt aware that a married Civil servant, while serving with His Majesty's Forces, is allowed to draw any war bonus that may be due to him in respect of his civil service.

Forward to