HC Deb 27 February 1918 vol 103 cc1359-61
42. Mr. ALDEN

asked whether any special provision is being made for an extra ration in the case of those men who are suffering from tuberculosis and who are ordered by their doctor to take as much meat and fat as possible; and whether he will state at the same time what arrangement is made for discharged soldiers in this condition?


Instructions have been issued to food offices in the London and Home Counties area to provide for an extra ration in the case of those who are suffering from tuberculosis and have been ordered by their medical advisers to take as much meat and fat as possible. Similar instructions will be issued to food offices throughout the country on the introduction of the national meat scheme. This provision applies to discharged soldiers in common with other civilians.

Colonel C. LOWTHER (by Private Notice)

asked the Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Food what extra rations persons suffering from tuberculosis or other illnesses requiring special feeding are entitled to; have their medical advisers the power to prescribe extra food; and, if so, how much?


I am sending the hon. and gallant Member a copy of the circular instructions issued to local food committees on this point From this he will see that extra rations of butter, margarine, and meat for invalids may be allowed only in the case of patients suffering from tuberculosis and diabetes. Every application for an extra allowance of food must be made to the food control committee, and must be accompanied by a certificate signed by the medical attendant in charge of the case, stating the disease from which the patient is suffering and specifying the minimum allowance of the food in question which, in his opinion, is required by the patient in a week.


"Will that also apply to sanatoria?


Yes, certainly.


When a patient requires more food through general weakness, though not suffering from these two specific diseases, will provision be made for him?


I have been asked to answer a question dealing only with tuberculosis and the other disease which is scheduled in the form. I should require notice of any other case.


Are we to understand that the special arrangements the hon. Gentleman suggested are limited to the two specific diseases?


I would not absolutely say that. We are all suffering from something, more or less.

Colonel F. HALL

Will the hon. Gentleman give instructions to the food committees that as soon as they receive a certificate signed by a medical authority they will give instructions there and then that the extra quantities should be given?


If that is not part of the instructions, I will certainly see that something is done.


Will the hon. Gentleman also consider the case of men suffering from mental debility?


I did not wish to import any kind of personal reference into my answer.

Colonel C. LOWTHER

May I point out that I mentioned not only tuberculosis, but other illnesses necessitating special food?