HC Deb 26 April 1911 vol 24 cc1799-800

asked the President of the Board of Education whether, in all future schemes for the government of secondary schools aided by a local authority, he will cause a clause to be inserted giving to an assistant master or mistress the right of being heard by or of making representations to the local education committee before any notice of dismissal by the governing body is made effective; and whether, in the case of the Bede Collegiate School, Sunderland, he will consent to add to the end of Clause 16 (b), paragraph 4, of the present Articles of Government words to the effect that the notice of dismissal therein referred to shall only be confirmed by the committee after hearing such representations as the assistant master or mistress may desire to make?


In the case of schools aided but not provided by local education authorities, to insert such a clause as is suggested by the hon. Member would be incompatible with the freedom and responsibility of the governing body. In the case of schools provided by local education authorities (of which the Bede Collegiate School, Sunderland, is one) the Articles of Government are primarily a matter for the providing authority, and the Board are only concerned to see that the Articles are such as they can approve for the purpose of the payment of grant, and that the Articles state the constitution of the governing body and define its functions, both as regards responsibility for general control and as regards immediate responsibility for the conduct of the school. If the authority wished to include such a provision as is suggested by the hon. Member in Articles of Government, the Board would not refuse to approve the Articles on that ground alone. The governing body of the Bede Collegiate School is appointed by the Sunderland Education Committee, and notices of dismissal of assistant masters require confirmation by the Higher Education Sub-Committee and by the Education Committee.


May I ask whether the Board of Education can see any objection to giving the same facilities for appeal to assistant masters as are at present given to headmasters?


I think the hon. Member should give notice of a separate question on that matter.