§ Mr. GEORGE ROBERTS
asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if his attention has been directed to the recent case in which a workman was found dead and another unconscious at the Winnington (Northwich) Chemical Works; whether these men had been overcome by carbon-monoxide gas; and, if so, whether he will further consider the advisability of scheduling affection by this gas as a dangerous disease under the Workmen's Compensation Act?
§ The SECRETARY OF STATE for the HOME DEPARTMENT (Mr. Gladstone)
I have obtained a report with regard to the circumstances of this case, from which it appears that the men were suddenly overcome by carbon-monoxide gas while clearing out a cylinder in a tower used for washing residual gases. The case, therefore, appears to be one, not of disease, but of accident, to which the provisions of the Workmen's Compensation Act are already applicable. It was announced at the inquest, on behalf of the employers, that full compensation would be paid.