HC Deb 20 October 1908 vol 194 cc948-9
MR. BRODIE (Surrey, Reigate)

I beg to ask the Secretary to the Treasury whether any circular has been issued by the Treasury to say that if additional leave is given to Government employees who are in the Territorial Army they must refund their Army pay to the Government, and that if they want additional leave they may be called on to provide a substitute and also refund their Army pay; and whether such, or a similar, circular was issued after camp was over this year, leaving no choice to the men.


Circulars were issued on 30th March and 6th June last before the annual camps were held pointing out to Civil Servants that if they choose to spend their ordinary leave in camp they may draw both civil and military pay during the camp period; if they take special leave for the purpose, and no substitute is required to perform their work in their absence, a deduction will be made from their civil pay equivalent to the amount of their military pay, excluding allowances. The cost of a substitute when required falls on the civil servant whose duties he performs, and the latter is in this case allowed to retain both civil and military pay from which to meet the charge, but any excess over the total amount of the military and civil pay is borne by the State.

Forward to