HC Deb 24 November 1908 vol 197 cc109-10

I beg to ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether he will take into consideration the establishment in connection with the Home Office of a consultative committee, similar to the consultative committee at the Board of Education, to which matters relating to children and young persons may be referred by him; and whether such a committee can be established without legislation.


I have considered my hon. friend's suggestion, but I do not see my way to adopting it. I am always able, without the formal constitution of a Standing Committee, to obtain the friendly advice and assistance of those best qualified to advise on any question relating to children and young persons that may from time to time arise—and in the case of any question of unusual difficulty or complexity, it is always open to me to appoint, ad hoc, a committee of specially qualified persons.