HC Deb 11 May 1908 vol 188 cc711-2
MR. GRETTON (Rutland)

I beg to ask the Secretary of State for War if non-commissioned officers who were serving in the Volunteers as such on 31st March last and have since re-engaged into the Territorial Forces will be paid full rates according to their rank, if embodied, and during the annual encampment, in those cases where they are in excess of the proportionate numbers as laid down in War Office Letter No. 9 (General Number) 701 (A.G. 5), dated 24th April, 1908 (C.R., N.C., A (37,456), dated 27th April, 1908, but not in excess of the authorised establishment; and, if so, will he take steps to make the above intention clear.


Any Volunteer noncommissioned officer who comes under the provision of Paragraph 79 of Army Order of 18th March, 1908, i.e., who belongs to a transferred unit and is attested to his own unit, will remain a non-commissioned officer and draw pay as such, although he is in excess not only of the proportionate number but also of the authorised establishment of non-commissioned officers. A non-commissioned officer who comes under Paragraph 80 of that Order, i.e., who wishes to enlist into another unit or arm will be permitted to enlist as a non-commissioned officer and draw pay as such provided the new commanding officer is willing to accept him, and provided there is a vacancy in the proportionate number.


Will the right hon. Gentleman answer the last part of the Question?


We have taken steps to make it quite clear. If there is any ambiguity about it still it shall be dealt with.