HC Deb 24 April 1907 vol 173 c26
MR. ALDEN (Middlesex, Tottenham)

To ask the President of the Local Government Board whether the case papers which applicants for relief, medical or otherwise, are required to furnish, include in the case of married applicants the production of a marriage certificate; and, if not, why they are insisted on by the boards of guardians in Kensington and Bethnal Green.

(Answered by Mr. John Burns.) Applicants for relief are not required to furnish case papers. These papers are filled up by the relieving officer from the statements made to him. The case paper in use at Kensington shows if the relieving officer has inspected the marriage certificate, but I understand that relief is not refused on the ground of its non-production. In the case of Bethnal Green, no applicant for relief is required to furnish a marriage certificate. I am informed, however, that persons in receipt of relief there are asked to state approximately the date and place of marriage. Information as to whether the applicant is married or not is found useful by the guardians for the purposes of their administration.