HC Deb 28 March 1904 vol 132 c840

I beg to ask the Under-Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs whether it is proposed to withdraw H. M. S. "Espiégle" from Niu-chwang; whether the British Consul has protested against such withdrawal; and whether, considering the position of the British residents in that place, he will give orders that the gunboat shall remain there for their protection.


Last month His Majesty's Consul urged the retention of a British man-of-war at Niu-chwang during the war, but, for the reasons I stated in my answer of the 16th instant, it was decided after consultation with the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty and on the advice of the Commander-in-Chief on the China Station, that it would not be desirable to retain His Majesty's Ship "Espiégl" at the port. The newly appointed Commander-in-Chief has since been also consulted and has advised that the former decision be adhered to.