HC Deb 09 July 1903 vol 125 c147

To ask the Secretary of State for War whether, when tent bottoms are issued to non commissioned officers and men sleeping out in tents, officers can only obtain them on medical certificate, and then have to pay for their hire.

(Answered by Mr. Secretary Brodrick.) Under arrangements now under trial, officers can obtain tent bottoms when the issue is made to non-commissioned officers and men under canvas on the recommendation of the medical authorities. Officers, however, pay out of their field allowance, which is meant to cover such items as this, a charge of sixpence a day up to a maximum of ten shillings for the use of the tent bottoms.