HC Deb 30 March 1900 vol 81 cc804-5
SIR CHARLES CAMERON (Glasgow, Bridgeton)

I beg to ask the Lord Advocate whether Lawrence Henderson,, merchant, Leith, against whom a charge was made of falsifying the books and embezzling the funds of Lawrence Henderson, Sons, and Co., Limited, of which he was the managing director, who absconded from this country in consequence of that charge, and for whose arrest a reward was offered, returned to this country on 25th February, and spent several days in Glasgow without any steps being taken for his arrest, and whether the Procurator Fiscal of Midlothian issued instructions that the warrant which had already been issued for his apprehension was not to be put in force; if so, why was not this done; why instructions were not given to watch Henderson's movements so as to prevent his again leaving this country; and whether information of Henderson's being in this country was communicated to the Procurator Fiscal on 28th February; if so, why instructions were not again issued to put the warrant in force until 6th March, and whether the original information against Henderson was lodged with the police authorities while he was still residing in Edinburgh; if so, why steps were not taken to prevent his leaving this country.


By telegram of 17th February, and again by letter dated Philadelphia, 16th February, and received 26th February, Henderson, for whose apprehension a warrant had been granted, informed the Procurator Fiscal of his intention to surrender, stating that he would sail from New York on 24th February for Glasgow, reaching Edinburgh eleven days later. In these circumstances it was not thought necessary to put the warrant in force in the meantime. On 1st March the Procurator Fiscal was informed by the police that Henderson had reached Liverpool on the 25th February. This excited suspicion, and after inquiry instruction was given for his apprehension, which, however, has not been effected. Henderson had left Edinburgh before the original warrant was issued, and no information has been obtained that he was subsequently seen in Glasgow.


Were any steps taken to watch him at Liverpool?


As soon as it transpired that he had arrived a day before the one announced, inquiries were made, and when the warrant was about to be put in force he was gone. We have no information that he was enabled to get hold of any money.