HC Deb 27 February 1900 vol 79 cc1208-9
MR. GALLOWAY () Manchester. S. W.

I beg to ask the Under Secretary of State for War what provision is made by the War Office for the maintenance of the mothers of soldiers, especially of recalled Reserve men, who, through the necessities or casualties of military service, may he deprived of their sons' support.


The War Office assists a soldier who is not married to allot a portion of his pay for the benefit of his mother. A soldier can also make remittances of his savings for the benefit of his parents; no direct grant is made from public funds.