HC Deb 30 April 1900 vol 82 cc273-4
MR. FABER (York)

I beg to ask the Under Secretary of State for War whether, in the case of those who have gone as Volunteers from this country to South Africa for the period of the war, or whose time of service shall have then expired, wishing to settle in South Africa on the conclusion of the war, they will be able to obtain their discharge there without first returning to this country; and if so, whether the Government will contribute towards the cost of passage from this country to South Africa of the wife or family of each of such soldiers the amount that it would have cost the Government to transport each of such soldiers from South Africa to this country, or any larger amount, with the view of encouraging their settlement in South Africa.


The Secretary of State for War has already placed himself in communication with the Colonial Office on this subject. The policy suggested by the hon. Member is one which, in the opinion of Her Majesty's Government, certainly deserves favourable consideration.

SIR A. ACLAND-HOOD (Somersetshire, Wellington)

May I ask if, in the case of all men who apply for discharge in South Africa, the Government will first ascertain whether they are married or not, so that there shall be no cases of destitution or wife desertion in this country?


This is a large question of policy, which will have to be carefully considered in every direction, and that is one of the points which certainly will not be left out of account.