HC Deb 06 April 1900 vol 81 cc1400-1
LORD BALCARRES (Lancashire, Chorley)

I beg to ask the Secretary to the Treasury whether those civil servants who, being Volunteers, respond to the invitation of the War Office and spend three or four weeks in camp will be obliged to count the whole period as part of their ordinary annual leave; or whether under the special circumstances they may be allowed not to deduct from their leave more than the usual period of seven to ten days during which Volunteer regiments are normally encamped.


Subject to the discretion of the heads of Departments, special leave will be given for the whole period that a Volunteer may spend in camp. Those spending a full month in camp will receive civil pay for half the time, and military pay for the remaining half. Those who spend less than a month will receive military pay only. Volunteers who prefer to take the whole or part of their ordinary leave in camp will receive full civil and military pay for the period corresponding to such ordinary leave, and for the remainder of the time spent in camp will receive half civil and half military pay if they spend a full month in camp, but military pay only if the period is less than a month.