HC Deb 30 May 1895 vol 34 cc643-4

I beg to ask the Chief Secretary to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland—(1) whether his attention has been called to the fact that complaints were made to the constabulary authorities that, on the night of the 22nd May, a sheriff's bailiff and emergency man named Barney Mulloy discharged shots from a revolver in a public street of Mount Charles, Donegal; that about ten days previously he had also discharged his revolver in the village of Trosses, and had likewise drawn his revolver upon three sailors and threatened to shoot them; (2) whether he is aware that on the 20th May, District Inspector Flower attended in Mount Charles for the purpose of investigating charges by local gentlemen against Sergeant Woods, Royal Irish Constabulary, of the Mount Charles Station, or neglect of duty in not promptly prosecuting Mulloy; (3) was this investigation public or private; who were examined as witnesses; and were the witnesses sworn; (4) will the charges against Mulloy be investigated in the ordinary way by the institution of criminal proceedings; and (5) is Mulloy still licensed to carry firearms by the resident magistrate; and, if so, will his licence be suspended pending the investigation of the several charges preferred against him?


Complaints have been made to the constabulary to the effect stated in the first paragraph, with the exception that the police are not aware, nor has any complaint been made to them, that the bailiff drew his revolver on the sailors. The district inspector had a conversation, on the date mentioned in second paragraph, with a man who made a complaint of of the nature indicated against the local sergeant. The District Inspector was on ordinary inspection on the occasion, and there was no investigation in the strict sense of the word, as it was not on oath and no witnesses were examined. The bailiff Mulloy was prosecuted at Petty Sessions yesterday for the offences to which I have referred in my reply to the first paragraph. He was fined 10s. (the maximum penalty) in one case, and bound over to keep the peace for twelve months in the second case.