HC Deb 27 March 1890 vol 343 c35
MR. STANLEY LEIGHTON (Shropshire, Oswestry)

I beg to ask the Secretary of State for War whether, in cases where Army pensioners make habitual use of workhouses, and discharge themselves just before their pensions become due, be will consider the expediency of providing that an application by the Guardians for the direct payment to them of such portion of the pension as may be due to the Union shall be entertained by the War Office, and that the claim shall be sent in and discharged by the central office in London and not elsewhere; and whether in the case of Army Reserve men in workhouses, similar provisions can be made?


In the case of an Army pensioner who makes habitual use of a workhouse, the Guardians may apply direct to the War Office as to the payment of the pension, but the War Office will have to refer the case to the local paymaster for report, and whatever payment may be decided upon would have to be made by that officer. Similar provision cannot be made in the case of an Army Reserve man, whose pay is a retaining fee for liability to serve, and by paragraph 156 of the regulations issued under the Reserve Forces Act it is exempt from stoppage on behalf of Parochial Authorities for the maintenance of the man or his family.