§ Mr. Kilroy-Silk
asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department what categories of discharged prisoner are not eligible for a discharge grant.
§ Mr. Hurd
Prisoners not eligible to apply for a discharge grant include:
- i. Those serving sentences of 14 days' imprisonment or less;
- ii. Those awaiting deportation or removal from the United Kingdom;
- iii. Those travelling to an address outside the United Kingdom (for this purpose the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are regarded as part of the United Kingdom);
- iv. Those employed on the pre-release employment scheme (unless ceasing employment more than three working days before discharge);
- v. Those being discharged direct to a hospital;
- vi. Those who on release will be maintained from public funds by having board and lodging provided, or a grant or allowance paid for the purpose;
- vii. Fine defaulters;
- viii. Civil prisoners;
- ix. Youth custody or detention centre trainees aged under 16 years, or under 18 years with a liability to resume full-time education;
- x Unconvicted and unsentenced prisoners;
- xi. Those prisoners remanded in custody who are later dealt with and discharged from magistrates' courts.