HC Deb 27 March 1974 vol 871 c130W
Mr. Blenkinsop

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will discourage local authorities from selling land in their possession for private development and give assistance to them in increasing their house building programmes.

Mr. Freeson

Provision for a significant increase in local authority house building was made in my right hon. Friend's Budget Statement yesterday. I am considering whether, before our proposals on the acquisition of land for development are brought forward, any further guidance needs to be given to local authorities about the use of land in their ownership for the provision of owner-occupied houses, housing co-operatives and Housing Association dwellings, where the need for municipal tenancies is being already satisfactorily met.