§ Commander Courtney
asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs which international organisations are in receipt of immunities and privileges within the terms of the International Organisations (Immunities and Privileges) Act 1960; how many individuals belonging to such organisations have been granted a degree of immunity and privilege under this Act; and how many of these individuals are normally resident in the United Kingdom.
§ Mr. Padley
I assume that the hon. and gallant Gentleman has in mind the International Organisations (Immunities and Privileges) Act 1950.
With permission I shall publish a list of the International Organisations concerned in the OFFICIAL REPORT. In addition to the Organisations listed it is hoped shortly to make Orders in respect of the European Space Research Organisation (ESRO) and the European Launcher Development Organisation (ELDO).
With regard to the second part of the Question, many of the Organisations covered by the 1950 Act do not have establishments in this country and I regret that it is not possible to estimate the total number of persons associated with these Organisations who may qualify for a degree of immunity and privilege on a temporary basis when visiting this country on official duty. I am however, able to say that 38 persons, including three who are permanently stationed in the 216W United Kingdom enjoy privileges and immunities equivalent to those of a diplomat in their capacity as High Officers of their respective Organisations.
In addition to these three High Officers some 273 persons attached to Organisations having either their Headquarters or an establishment in the United Kingdom enjoy a lower degree of privilege and immunity or, in certain cases, fiscal privilege alone.
List of Organisations
1. United Nations (including the International Court of Justice).
2. International Labour Organisation (ILO).
3. International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO)
4. World Health Organisation (WHO).
5. Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO).
6. United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
7. Universal Postal Union (UPU).
8. International Telecommunications Union (ITU).
9. World Meteorological Organisation (WMO).
10. North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO).
11. Commission for Technical Cooperation in Africa South of the Sahara (CCTA).
12. Western European Union (WEU).
13. Intergovernmental Maritime Consultative Organisation (IMCO).
14. Council of Europe.
15. Customs Cooperation Council.
16. International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
17. Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
18. European Free Trade Association (EFTA).
19. Central Treaty Organisation (CENTO).
20. South East Asia Treaty Organisation (SEATO).
21. International Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
22. International Monetary Fund.
23. International Finance Corporation.
24. International Development Association.
25. International Sugar Council.
26. International Tin Council.
27. International Wheat Council.
28. International Coffee Organisation.