HC Deb 16 September 2004 vol 424 c1472 1.37 pm
Mr. Paul Tyler (North Cornwall) (LD)

On a point of order. Mr. Speaker. A few minutes ago, the Leader of the House, in answer to the hon. Member for Southampton, Test (Dr. Whitehead), indicated that if he wishes to secure an Adjournment debate on matters relating to the administration of the House, he can do so. I have sought on a number of occasions to do precisely that. In particular, I raised with the Leader of the House the need to be able to question and debate the extremely important and interesting annual report of the House of Commons Commission. However, I have been advised that there is no Minister who can reply to such a debate. Can you give me some guidance, Mr. Speaker, on how we can raise such matters? As I understand it, we cannot have an Adjournment debate in Westminster Hall unless there is a Department and a Minister who can respond to it.

Mr. Speaker

As is often the case, the hon. Gentleman is right: there is no ministerial responsibility in this regard. But all Members of this House have access to me, and of course, the hon. Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire (Sir Archy Kirkwood) answers on my behalf on these issues. So there is a way of raising them, but not through debate on the Adjournment of the House.

Forward to