§ Motion made, and Question proposed,
§ That it is expedient to amend the law with respect to the National Debt and the public revenue and to make further provision in connection with finance.
§ (2) Subject to paragraphs (3) to (6) below, this Resolution does not extend to the making of any amendment with respect to value added tax so as to provide—
- (a) for zero-rating or exempting a supply, acquisition or importation;
- (b) for refunding an amount of tax;
- (c) for varying any rate at which that tax it any time chargeable;
- (d) for any relief, other than a relief which—
- (i) so far as it is applicable to goods, applies to goods of every description, and
- (ii) so far as it is applicable to services, applies to services of every description.
§ (3) Paragraph (2) above does not exclude the making of amendments with respect to value added tax—
- (a) providing for refunds of the kind specified in paragraph (4) below;
- (b) providing for that tax to be charged at a reduced rate of 5 per cent. on supplies of the descriptions specified in paragraph (5) below (and on equivalent acquisitions and importations); or
- (c) making provision of the kind authorised by paragraph (6) below.
§ (4) The refunds mentioned in paragraph (3)(a) above are refunds of value added tax where—
- (a) that tax is chargeable on a supply to, or an acquisition or importation by, a museum or gallery, and
- (b) the supply, acquisition or importation is attributable to supplies of free rights of admission to the museum or gallery.
§ (5) The supplies mentioned in paragraph (3)(b) above are—
- (a) supplies, in the course of a conversion of a building (or part of a building), of services related to the conversion if after the conversion the building (or part) contains living accommodation;
- (b) supplies, in the course of the renovation or alteration (including the extension) of a dwelling that has been unoccupied for at least three years, of services related to the renovation or alteration;
- (c) supplies of goods by a person making a supply of services within sub-paragraph (a) or (b) above if—
- (i) those services include the incorporation of the goods into the building concerned (or its site), and
- (ii) the goods are building materials within the meaning of Group 5 of Schedule 8 to the Value Added Tax Act 1994;
- (d) supplies of children's car seats.
§ (6) The provision authorised by this paragraph is provision re-enacting, without altering any person's liability to value added tax or the amount of any such liability, provisions providing for that tax to be charged at a reduced rate of 5 pet cent. on certain supplies, acquisitions and importations.—[Mr. Gordon Brown.]
§ Question again proposed.