That the following provisions shall have effect for the period beginning 28th March 2000 and ending 31 days after the earliest of the dates mentioned in section 50(2) of the Finance Act 1973—
§ (1) Paragraph (2) applies where—
- (a) an instrument transferring or vesting an estate or interest in land would not, apart from this Resolution, be or fall to be treated as a conveyance or transfer on sale for the purposes of stamp duty; but
- (b) the transfer or vesting of the estate or interest is for consideration; and
- (c) the consideration is or includes any property ("the other property").
§ (2) For the purposes of Part I of Schedule 13 to the Finance Act 1999, the instrument transferring or vesting the estate or interest shall be taken to be a transfer on sale of the estate or interest.
§ (3) If—
- (a) the other property is or includes one or more estates or interests in land, and
- (b) ad valorem duty is chargeable on the conveyance or transfer of all or any of those estates or interests,
§ (4) If, for the purposes of Part I of Schedule 13 to the Finance Act 1999, the amount or value of the consideration for the transfer on sale mentioned in paragraph (2) would (apart from this paragraph) exceed the market value of the estate or interest immediately before the execution of the instrument transferring or vesting it, the amount or value of the consideration shall be taken for those purposes to be equal to that market value.
§ (5) For the purposes of this Resolution, the market value of property at any time is the price which that property might reasonably be expected to fetch on a sale at that time in the open market.
§ (6) Paragraph (2) has effect even though—
- (a) the transfer or vesting of the estate or interest is the whole or part of the consideration for a sale of the other property; or
- (b) the transaction is by way of exchange.
§ (7) Paragraph (2) does not affect any charge to stamp duty in respect of the same or any other instrument so far as it relates to the transfer of the other property.
§ (8) This Resolution is subject to paragraph (5) of the Resolution of the House (Stamp duty (transfer of land to connected company)) of 27th March 2000.
§ (10) This Resolution applies to instruments executed on or after 28th March 2000.
§ (11) But this Resolution does not apply to an instrument giving effect to a contract made on or before 21st March 2000, unless—
- (a) the instrument is made in consequence of the exercise after that date of any option, right of pre-emption or similar right; or
- (b) the instrument transfers the property in question to, or vests it in, a person other than the purchaser under the contract, because of an assignment (or, in Scotland, assignation) or further contract made after that date.